Thursday, December 9, 2010

An American in Holland

So I've been living with my wife now in Yerseke, Netherlands (Yerseke - ear-se-kuh) for just over a month now and loving it! And wonder of wonders, the government decided I can stay. I'm a legal resident!

Okay, so my dutch is a bit rudimentary and my interactions with the locals is getting better, but my real obstacle is the way things work here.

Like most Americans, I'm dependent upon a 24-hour economy. For example: If I get off work at 9pm and I need milk there is always a Biggs, Walmart, Costco, or something similar that's open. I go in, get my milk, remember I need a pack of new undies for my next trip, decide to get windshield washer fluid, oh, I need a new hammer for a D.IY. project, might as well pick up the latest Melissa Etheridge CD, and I really do want that new movie with whatshername in it. My cart is full, pick up some Tylenol cold and flu stuff since I got the sniffles and I'm off. Easy, right?



Not in Holland. Not anywhere close to where we live--which is on the coast, close to the North Sea.

Hell, not anywhere in Europe that I know of. But, there is a Walmart in China. No, I'm serious. I met a Walmart pharmacist who visited it. I can't say I was surprised.

But if I want that list of items, even if it's at 9am on a weekday, (except Monday. Lots of shops close on Monday and NONE here are open on Sunday.) I can't get that list at one store.

I can get the hammer and washer fluid at the D.I.Y. store called Praxis or Gamma--like a Lowe's or Home Depot type place. I could get the undies at a clothing store. There's lots of those. The milk I get at the local grocery. The CD and DVD--there's lots of stores for those.

But the Tylenol cold and flu? Nope. Haven't found it yet. You have to go to the Apothecary or drugist store, ask the pharmacy technician for what you need or describe your symptoms and she'll find something that will help you out. Most of them you can't even get the meds because they are behind the counter and she has to get them for you. I can find Advil and Aleve, but so far that's it.

Weird and a little frustrating. I guess we Americans are just hooked on our over-the-counter meds.

Of course these stores will close at 5pm. In most towns there's a buyer's night where they re-open at 6 (after dinner) until around 9 or so. Yep. They stay up late those nights! LOL

So I have to remember to make that grocery list and make sure it's filled before Saturday afternoon. Or there's no dinner on Sunday. We could go to a restaurant. There's always one of those open. But it's pricey and I'd rather just have dinner at home most days. And yes, we have McDonalds (you wouldn't recognize all the meals there), and KFC and Burger King, but who the hell wants to live in Europe and still eat there!

Not me. Though trying the local food is a whole other blog! Just ask my pal Mercedes about the food in Amsterdam. Still laughing about that!



But at least the oldest member of the family had no trouble adapting. She got a new pillow as a house warming gift. We put it next to the hearth and she is currently fast asleep on it.

1 comment:

  1. Aww man, I added a note and it disappeared. Fagedaboudit now.

    Glad you are settling in okay, and congratulations on becoming a citizen.

    The food, like everything else, is an adventure. I look forward to my next visit.

    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Pat Cronin grew up in a family of cops, was a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 17 years, and recently retired as a paramedic/firefighter. Now working in IT, Pat is the Goldie Award-winning co-editor of Blue Collar Lesbian Erotica and the author of the 2010 romance Souls’ Rescue. With Verda Foster, she also co-edited the 2010 anthology, Women in Uniform: Medic & Soldiers & Cops, Oh My! Pat was raised in Ohio but has moved to Yerseke, Zeeland in the Netherlands.